Sunday, January 18, 2009

Welcome to Share It

I want to challenge you to try a new recipe each week. It doesn't always have to be a main dish. It can be a new dessert or bread recipe. It can be for breakfast, lunch, or supper. Just try it and have your family rate it 1 to 5 ( 5 is the best). If you added something to the recipe tell about that.

If you don't have a recipe, maybe you have a time or cost saving tip to share. Maybe it is a random tip like the one I learned recently: when you shop, if you don't have a child along who needs the little shopping cart seat belt, use it to buckle your purse to the cart. You don't have to worry about someone snatching your purse from your cart.

Another thing you can share is something the Lord is teaching you. I read something recently in the book, Calm My Anxious Heart by Linda Dillow that really challenged me. In a chapter about contentment she tells about a missionary to Africa who lived in very difficult circumstances but with contentment. Her daughter found an old diary where her mother had written her "secrets" to contentment:
-Never allow yourself to complain about anything -not even the weather.
-Never picture yourself in any other circumstances or someplace else.
-Never compare your lot with another's
-Never allow yourself to wish this or that had been otherwise.
-Never dwell on tomorrow-remember that tomorrow is God's not ours.

So find something to share each week and "Share It"
Pam

3 comments:

  1. Good thoughts, sweet sister-in-law! I'm reading the same book (YOU gave it to me) and those "secrets" stuck out to me too. Where we allow our minds to dwell is where our attitudes will go! As our friend, Caitlin Stack, would say.....WATCH OUT!

    I made sushi this past Friday, but I doubt anyone would want the recipe :-) It isn't perfected yet. All I can say is have fun in the kitchen and make some of your mealtimes different. Our whole theme was Oriental - Chinese music was playing in the background, we had Japanese soup and sushi, hot green tea and ate with chopsticks. It was fun! And fun doesn't have to mean expensive!
    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trying a new recipe every week - sounds great!! :) Only Father Dear isn't usually so keen on new recipes. But Mother Dear and I can have fun anyway. I'm thinking somewhere along the lines of trying to combine pickles and chocolate in a savory fashion. ;)

    Friday night I threw together some ingredients and out came a simple yet yummy carrot soup! Then I made a carrot and lentil soup on Saturday - turned out pretty good too. It's a soup-y time of year.

    OH, and I'll have to photograph what I plan on making in a couple of days and IF it turns out, I'll letcha know. :) It could be pretty neat... but it also could be a disaster.

    Interesting thoughts on contentment. Looking at that list... it's convicting. Very. And something to think about. Wouldn't that be interesting, for me anyway, to have to WRITE down every single time a complaint was uttered from my mouth. I shudder to think! How even worse to think of writing down every complaining -thought-. Yet Someone does hear every complaining thought.

    --Hannah G.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One more thing... the Garrison family already has a rating system down, and doing a 1-5 rating would sadly break with tradition. It's simply out of the question. We always grade things on a A, B, C, D, F scale, with minuses and pluses added as we deem appropriate.

    ;)

    Maybe it's a natural consequence that stems from being in a family of teachers.

    ReplyDelete