Sunday, January 25, 2009

Cabbage casserole from Misti

Here is another one from Misti.Thanks Misti. Just so you know, I am trying to post the recipes every other day or so. If I get two in one day, I will save one. If you send in a recipe and don't see it posted in a week's time then email me about it. Try those new recipes this week!! ~Pam

I actually invented this recipe and it ended up being a family favorite that I make at least 3 times per month.
We loved stuffed cabbage, but steaming the cabbage leaves and "stuffing" them took too much time, so I invented this.
We had it again last night so I thought I'd share:
1 small head of cabbage sliced thinly into bite sized pieces
1 pound of ground beef
2 cups dry brown rice
can of diced tomatoes or you can substitute spaghetti sauce that is yummy too.
Sour Cream (optional if you like it)
Cook 2 cups of brown rice in 4 cups of water simmering for 35 min covered on low heat.
While that is cooking...
Cook the ground beef in a large pot. Drain some of the grease but not all of it. (maybe 1/2)
Stir the cabbage into the beef and cook til the cabbage is cooked. (about 5 minutes)
Add tomatoes or sauce. Add cooked rice and stir all together.
Serve with sour cream if you like it or skip it if you don't.
THis recipe is so easy and delicious, balanced and healthy too.
You could substitute ground venison if you prefer....you could use white rice too, but it's not quite as healthy.

1 comment: