Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Black Bean Pumpkin Soup

Now this recipe sounds like a pregnant woman must have put it together, especially when you get to the garnish. Terry, are you sure about this one? ~smile

About your comment at the bottom... Mark says that happened 27 years ago!!! Will you please forgive him?!? He has learned to be more tactful ~ smile .

Thanks for sharing again. Pam


Black Bean Pumpkin Soup (I know this sounds like a strange combo, but trust me - it's yummy!)
Gourmet, November 1996

Yield: 9 cups

Three 15 1/2 ounce cans black beans (about 4 1/2 cups), rinsed and drained
1 14.5 can of whole tomatoes tomatoes, chopped (I'm sure diced tomatoes would be fine)
1 1/4 cups chopped onion (1 large)
2 garlic cloves minced (recipe called for 4 cloves but I held back for Danny's sake)
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 stick (1/4 cup) butter
4 cups beef broth (3c broth + 1 c water)
1 16-ounce can pumpkin puree (about 1 1/2 cups)
1/2 cup dry Sherry
1/2 pound cooked ham, cut into 1/8-inch dice (I used cooked chicken breast) I did have the ham at a friend's and it was yummy too.

Garnish: sour cream and coarsely chopped lightly toasted pumpkin seeds. I did not use the pumpkin seeds to garnish, but I did have some ingredients on the table to use for garnish, IF desired. I know it sounds strange, but I had this garnish for a black bean soup I had at a real nice restaurant - dill pickles (diced), I also had some slices of avocado. I'm known to be weird w/some of my food stuff (but as Lois says, "a good weird")

In a food processor coarsely puree beans and tomatoes.

In a 6-quart heavy kettle cook onion, garlic, cumin, salt, and pepper in butter over moderate heat, stirring, until onion is softened and beginning to brown. Stir in bean puree. Stir in broth, pumpkin, and Sherry until combined and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 25 minutes, or until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.

Just before serving, add ham (or as I did - chicken) and simmer soup, stirring, until heated through. Season soup with salt and pepper (we did not add extra salt).

I'm not going to rate this - I won't share things that we don't think are good :-) BUT if any of you try any of my recipes please feel free to rate them - it won't hurt my feelings because I am not the originator :-) Just don't rate them when I serve them to you here at the house :-) now that may hurt my feelings (ask Mark!) :-)))) hahahaha

If you ever have questions w/recipes feel free to email me Truetribes@juno.com :-) Terry

3 comments:

  1. This sounds exactly like a recipe I would create! Oh, I have to try this. And this is perfect, because I've been in the mood for black beans lately, and pumpkin as well. But narrow-minded me never thought of mixing them!

    But... the sherry? What's that? And could I substitute something else?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I'll just put in... apple juice instead of sherry? Hm. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM!! I loved it!
    I didn't really follow the recipe. I rarely do, especially if I'm just making something for myself. I didn't really measure ingredients, didn't have any sherry, added a couple blops of apple juice, used chicken broth, and didn't puree things.

    I'm sure mine turned out a bit different than yours... but I rate what I just ate an A+! I sure am looking forward to lunch tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete